Expecto Patronum!

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Proudly presenting to you....Beach Fiesta 2009!

My god. Beach Fiesta is over.

It was a damn hot day where I was captain ball referee with Sopfina for the preliminary rounds from 10+am until like maybe 3+ pm? Although Bingde did step in for a few matches because it was realy straining for the both of us. After like refereeing for quite a few matches, we were not like even 1/3 of the matches through! However, we just continued to push on and finish it in the end.

Being a referee is of course not easy. Players like to complain and make noise especially when you give decisons against them. The most memorable was this incident where I kept giving decisions against this girl. Then, there was a throw-in and she was super guailan. She threw the ball at my head and claimed that it was to 'check' the ball. Now, a very good question to ask is, why would she need to 'check' the ball and another good question to ask is, even if she did it, why did she have to throw it in my direction especially when I was like 1 metre away from her. Some peoepl are just ridiculous.

Overall, I was glad that I kept my cool for the whole day even when one of the participants came up to me and told me he wanted to slap me. However, I also knew that he just said it in the heat of the moment and did not really mean it. He came up to give me a friendly handshake after the game so I guess that proves my point.

The preparation for the event day actually started 2 days before the event day itself with a briefing for all helping on the event day itself. Then, 1 day before the event, we started doing all the logistics stuff and moved all the stuff over to Sentosa before the day itself and stayed overnight there.

It sure was an eventful night. We marked out courts in the dark, spent some time to untangle the ropes and set up the stage with the sound sytem all in the dark.

I cannot say everything that went on that night but I do wish to mention that I hoped it became a defining momment for some of us and that we will become better people from all these.

Moving on, I shall go on to talk about my role as a Management Committee (MC) member of the NUS Students' Arts & Social Sciences Club. With great powers comes great responsibilties. This is a quote that I took from Spiderman and I truly believe in it. Maybe that is a reason why when I took the Facebook quiz, 'Which superhero are you', mine was Spiderman.

Anyway, as I was saying, I have a duty to the MC, to Arts Club, to help out my fellow MC members to carry out their duties, to answer to all Arts students and to keep up the reputation of the club, to make sure that things run smoothly.

It is not an easy baggage to carry. You will meet all sorts of people in the course of your work, people with different agenda, people who try your patience at times but it is a test of our endurance, a test of our capabilities. More importantly, in the course of all these, you see people's true character, their mettle and what they are really made of.

Talk about this, I just want to mention that I am afraid of no one. I just hate to argue with people who act cute but are not cute or are just plain childish or lame. The truly capable do not need to waste their energies on such people.

Other than being an MC member, I have other duties vested upon me. As a House IC, I have a duty to my house, to make sure that my house especially the freshies and followed by everyone in the camp enjoy themselves at Arts Camp.

With so much to do, sometimes, I wonder if it simply means that I have no choice with regards to my personal life until the end of my term, my first duty is to the MC, to Arts Club, the Arts students followed by my house and the rest of Arts Camp.

There is so much that needs to be answered but I currently only have questions and no answer. Too many questions in fact. I think what my good friend, Xiaoling said is correct, I have not progressed. I always take my own sweet time, thinking that it will always be there and I always dare not take the next step, I am always afraid of failure and I procrastinate and do the wrong stuff.

Lastly, I just want to commit some people into my memory in case I have senile dementia next time. The good die young. In this case, they do not die but we will not be seeing them after this semester. Zhi Min and Kaiwei are graduating after this semester. Two of the most valued affiliates of Arts Club will no longer be around to help us. I guess we have to move on and live with it. Luckily, we will still have our other valuable affiliates like Bingde and Mingguang around to help us. Not only that but to provide us entertainment with their presence in the clubroom during normal days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home