Home on the Range
I remembered a Chinese New Year Eve many years ago. And I was watching this show on the Song family of modern China. For those of you who don't know, the Song family was an important family in China. They had 3 daughters who each married someone important. The youungest one married the faher of modern China, Sun Yat Sen.
Anyway, as the story went, there was this scene at the front part of the movie that stuck in my mind. The 3 daughters were still young then and Mr. Song had sent his daughters away to China because China was in turmoil then. The setting then was him bidding farewell at the railway station. Being young children at that time, the youngest daughter was obviously not comfortable leaving her father. So what the father did was to sing her a song to soothe her. And here is the song, Home on the Range below.
Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam,
Where the deer and the antelope play,
Where seldom is heard a discouraging word
And the skies are not cloudy all day.
Chorus
Home, home on the range,
Where the deer and the antelope play;
Where seldom is heard a discouraging word
And the skies are not cloudy all day.
Where the air is so pure, the zephyrs so free,
The breezes so balmy and light,
That I would not exchange my home on the range
For all of the cities so bright.
The red man was pressed from this part of the West
He's likely no more to return,
To the banks of Red River where seldom if ever
Their flickering camp-fires burn.
How often at night when the heavens are bright
With the light from the glittering stars
Have I stood here amazed and asked as I gazed
If their glory exceeds that of ours.
Oh, I love these wild flowers
in this dear land of ours
The curlew I love to hear scream,
And I love the white rocks and the antelope flocks
That graze on the mountain-tops green.
Oh, give me a land where the bright diamond sand
Flows leisurely down the stream;
Where the graceful white swan goes gliding along
Like a maid in a heavenly dream.
I remembered the parts I had bolded but the rest of the song is still there in case you want to take a look at it. Quite a nice song, I tried finding it but could only turn up with 'hip', faster versions. Anyway, another reason why the lyrcis of this song is still stuck in my mind is because I remember I learnt it duing music lesson in school.
You can read more about the song here .
Apparently, this song was the state song of Kansas, USA.
Of course, people would ask me why I am talking about the song and why I feel for it personally. I think the main point here is identification. I identify the song with that scene. And that scene is a nice scene, a father showing his love for his young daughter. I have always strongly believed in the power of human relationships and how much it can help us. The human heart is actually very fragile after all and we need every bit of help we can get.
Alright, that's all for this post. Ciao!!!!!! (Sounds familiar, Nikki?)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home