Last Official Day of School
And I want to open this post with lyrics from a song that was used inside one of my favourite movies:
Coz I'm leaving on a jet plane,
Don't know when I'll be back again.
To be very honest, I did not really treat this day with its due reverence. Don't even know if that is the word I should use for it. I bascially just went to school to do the 3rd day of my medical study.
And it was not a very good experience to be honest. If you asked me to do it again, I might have some apprehension. First of all, they poked holes into me for both of my arms. By this time, they poke holes into me so many times, I should be used to it right. Well, answer is no. Still hurts. Wakao. I always try not to look at it when possible. You can call me a meow meow if you like.
Then they like got blood samples from me every 5 minutes for 2 hours for this study. Meanwhile, insulin and concentrated glucose was pumped into my blood for the same duration. At first, it was still ok and I even dozed off. But halfway through, the tingling in my left arm was really crazy due to the glucose. You get this cramping/numb sensation with some pain now and then. That one was seriously no joke and halfway through, I asked the nurse how much longer there was. Luckily, she was quite nice, attempting to make me comfortable throughout the whole process like covering my feet with my jacket and helping to massage my left arm to make it better.
But anyway, the good news is the doctor declared me super healthy and having very slim chances of getting diabetes. He told me I am his most healthiest patient. I almost used finish his whole bag of glucose which he said had never finished before and they were actually debating whether to get another bag of glucose. He said the normal reading was 4-8 for most people but I actually had a reading of 15.
And the other doctor the other day also told me that I should be very healthy to resist against heart diseases because my heartbeat was extremely slow at like 55 per minute. He said that he was afraid there might be some blockage in my heart but after looking at my ECG chart, he told me I was hale and healthy and that possibly due to my exercising a lot, the pumping of blood from my blood was super efficient leading to the low heartbeat rate.
Moving back to the second part of the medical study today, I was supposed to go to this place at SGH for an MRI scan. And I can tell you, SGH is a freaking big place. I got lost. Wakao. I got directed to the wrong place. They have the same institution (Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School) and the freaking institution has offices in 3 parts of that area at least and I was walking around trying to find the correct one.
When I finally got to do the scan, I was told to make sure there were no metallic objects on me and told to change to a dressing gown. I was then put into this tube thingy and it suddenly occured to me whether I might go crazy and find out that I was claustrophobic. As it turned out, I found out I was not although I did have a feel of how people felt when they lay in a coffin or got trapped in a box. They also outfitted me with some padding on my head and earplugs with this thing in your hand for you to press in case you are not feeling comfortable and headsets on your ears so that they can communicate with you.
The hardest part of doing the MRI scan was holding your breathe when they were doing abdominal scans which I really had problems holding my breathe. I even had to repeat one scan because I was not holding my breathe enough. But anyway, finally it was over.
And of course, the good news is, the person told me I seem to be hale and healthy although there were some fats clogging around my internal organs.
Ok, good to know that I would not die so soon. And after that, I went home, signifying the end of my last official day with lessons in school. Which had no significance to me. Haha.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home