Interesting take on Wong Kan Seng
Someone I knew wrote the following and I found it mighty interesting in view of the elections:
I have lost touch. I have not read much on local politics except from the occasional posts by Lim Wei Yi - The esteemed editor of Dow Jones Taiwan. I admire his undying spirit and involvement with spore politics. Although he is far away in a quasi-state. His passion for anything local and anything Ministers and MPs are simply amazing.
Anyhow i chanced upon this article of Financial Times. And it cracked me up big time. And I wanna share it with all my fellow Singaporeans. Btw, I am not a govt basher like Lim Wei Yi. On the contrary I like our govt, her efficiency, and her integrity. I just find some of the people in it amusing thats all. So Here goes...
"The government also unveiled plans to crack down on acts of civil disobedience, with a new law expected to be in place before Singapore hosts the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit in November, said Wong Kan Seng, the home minister. Police would be given pre-emptive powers to prevent people gathering at important government buildings, he said.
Although Singapore is known for imposing strict limits on public assembly, banning those of five people or more, Mr Wong (Kan Seng) claimed that current laws were inadequate in dealing with civil disobedience actions. ”This cannot go on,” he said."
When I read Mr Wong "THIS CANNOT GO ON", I seriously went into convulsions from laughing (And this is a highly encouraged activity for those who just undergone a major surgery like myself.)
The few thoughts that surfaced to my inactive mind
1. Mr Wong makes it sounds serious. Are we back to the 60s and 70s? This sure feels like the Hock Lee Bus Riot
2. "Current laws are inadequate" - Simply amazing statement. I would rate it as bullshit for the lack of a better adjective. If we follow this trajectory, I think the next logical step wld be the imposition of time curfews (yay work HAS to end by 6 pm now!) and any attempted incursion or trespass into the public domain of Orchard Road and Tanglin Halt will now have to be conducted in a buddy system. Any number more than 2 is tantamount to direct insubordination of direct orders by Mr Wang Kan Seng.
Certain Repercussions I can think of as a direct result of the new law:
a. we will need to apply for a permit next time when we want to organize Sunday Soccer.
b. Parents are not allowed to bring any kids out since that will mean a number larger than 2. It is either Mother+Son or Father+Daugher or Mother+Father Combination. If you were to bring your kids out, you can also apply for permit with the Town Council and get the muzzle and Taser that comes free with the package - just in case your 5 yr old son decides to stage a coup and bring forth anarchy.
c. The word Democracy is removed from the Singapore Dictionary.
d. 4 x 100m relay is banned by the Singapore Sports Council.
e. GRC requirement is trimmed to 2, of which 1 needs to be from a minority race.
f. Elevators are removed from Potong Pasir (ok this is irrelevant to civil disobedience, but it will happen irregardless)
And to go further into the Mr Wong Kan Seng.
- do u know this guy is acting PM of Singapore when LSL is on leave? (From Weiyi)
quotes from smart Wong Kan Seng from JUST one interview
When asked where Mas Selamat is:
'I can't say whether he's in Indonesia, the Philippines or whatever. The moment you leave Singapore, you can find a place to go.'
On whether Mas Selamat will attack Singapore:
' If there's any activity, if he plans something, hopefully the ones outside will pick it up and then share it with us.'
On Why Selamat could have escaped:
' Singapore being so porous, things and people can slip through.'
some comments on this.
1. porous?! bad skin is porous. limestone is porous. a country, porous?
On Home Affairs' disappointment with the public:
He said that there was a need for Singaporeans to appreciate the complexity of the Home Team's work.
there seemed to be 'unrealistic and unreasonable expectations dominating the public discussion, that there cannot be any lapses whatsoever'.
He asked for distinctions to be made between 'clear negligence' on the one hand, and errors that arose 'as a result of a confluence of events, some of which were outside the officers' control'.
some comments on this.
1. 'as a result of a confluence of events, some of which were outside the officers' control' - clearly getting cosmic here.
I think Mr Wong needs some love.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home